Saturday, January 28, 2012

To Catch a Prince by Gillian McKnight -- Book Review

To Catch a Prince (To Catch a Prince & The Frog Prince)
2/5 Stars

Helene Masterson and Alexis Worth are stepsisters and best friends. When Helene lands a summer internship in London, Alexis tags along. To make their summer more interesting, the girls make a bet that one of them must hook Prince William by the end of the summer. When the girls meet Simon and Lazlo, they find their perfect matches, but will the boys get discouraged with the girls' royal distraction?
In The Frog Prince, Helene and Alexis are off to Paris after Helene's estranged father invites her to stay for the summer. Helene and Alexis set out to catch the prince of Paris, chasing him all over town, but what if he turns out to be a toad?
<><> <><>

My mom actually read this book before me and liked it. But when I read it, I had a lot of mixed emotions.

The characters were extremely unlikeable. They were too spoiled, too ungrateful and too catty to really like and understand. The book synopsis also pleaded their unbreakable friendship. But in these TWO books, they were probably only friends for 7 chapters collectively. Great friendship, huh?

While the premise was fun, I couldn't get into it that much. My favorite characters were probably Simon & Laszlo, the former didn't even have a chance in the second book. While I could relate better to Helene, I had no sympathy for Alexis. I do love how Helene & Laszlo's romance played out. Definitely the most, and maybe only satisfying part of the book.

This book was actually two books in one. The second one--'The Frog Prince' was the better one in my opinion. I loved the scenery (London & Paris) and the writing was higher than average. I just couldn't get past the unlikeable characters, and how everything was wrapped up in the end.

I'm not sure if I'd even recommend it to people who love prince-fiction. They make William look soooo bad! But if you're looking for a thoughtless read, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!