Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: Gilt by Katherine Longshore


Gilt
Gilt by Katherine Longshore
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Published: May 15th, 2012
Pages: 398
My Source: ARC

My review:

This book throws the reader into the marvelous court life of Catherine Howard and her friends. Catherine is one of the infamous Henry VIII's wives, and this book captures her short life through the eyes of her best friend, Kitty Tynley.

I really, really loved this book. I'm a fan of reading this era of historical-fic, and this book was a total guilty pleasure. But it wasn't fluffy, at all. It was a deep and rather dark book, that exposed you, the reader, to the lies, deception, and scheming that went on in Henry VIII's court. It also had some sexual scenes. I figured out that it was Viking Juvenile only when I looked on the Goodreads page. It honestly strikes me as a borderline YA-adult book with its dark and provocative nature.

All the characters in the book were twisted and extremely interesting. Except Cat, she was just  awful. I'm not even going to lie, the fifth star is knocked off mostly because of her attitude. But, she is one of the most vital parts of this story. And for her insanity--I thank it. It was definitely fun to read about. Her dysfunctional relationship with Kitty, and all of her 'friends' added so much depth to each of them.

Although really, Cat & Kitty? I spent the first chapter thinking they were the same person.

I recommend this to fans of historical-fiction. Especially those who are fascinated by Henry VIII (as I am.) Fans of The Luxe would especially like this book, anyone who likes to read about big dresses and even bigger lies.

4/5 lightbulbs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!