Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Review: Numbers by Rachel Ward

Summary: Ever since she was child, Jem has kept a secret: Whenever she meets someone new, no matter who, as soon as she looks into their eyes, a number pops into her head. That number is a date: the date they will die. Burdened with such awful awareness, Jem avoids relationships. Until she meets Spider, another outsider, and takes a chance. The two plan a trip to the city. But while waiting to ride the Eye ferris wheel, Jem is terrified to see that all the other tourists in line flash the same number. Today's number. Today's date. Terrorists are going to attack London. Jem's world is about to explode!

Kim's Review: This book was NOT what I expected it to be. There was a lot more action and suspense than I anticipated (given I didn't read the summary before starting), but I really enjoyed it. The idea of someone being able to see a person's death date just by looking them in the eye is definitely intriguing, and I think the author took it in the right direction. It took a while to get used to all of the British slang, but overall I couldn't find any flaws in the writing.

I was teetering between a three and four star rating throughout most of this book, but that last chapter made it earn the fourth star. Talk about a creepy ending! I hope I get to pick up the sequel sometime soon because I think there's a lot to be explored. Consider my expectations raised!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!