Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Goddess Test -- Book Review


So this book is about Kate. Her mother is slowly dying; and her last wish is to return to the town of her birth. (The mother, not Kate.) So they wind up in a small town called Eden. Immediately in the first few chapters Kate is pranked by the queen bee named Ava. But instead of a clean get away, Ava cracks her head open in the woods and is knocked out. Kate is freaking out all alone when a mysterious man shows up named Henry. He fixes Ava with one negotiation, that Kate reads the story of Persephone and then she will know what he needs her to do. Skipping over a bit, Kate is now in the Eden Manor to pass 7 tests in 6 months. If she passes she will become a goddess and marry Henry. If she doesn't her mother will die and she won't remember anything in the manor, including Henry whom she is falling in love with. Not to mention someone is trying to kill her from within the walls.
 
Wow. I had pretty good expectations for this book, and they were by far exceeded. This book was a masterpiece and I have close to nothing bad to say about it. This book surprised me and outsmarted me a lot; and I LOVE that. There was nothing predictable and no cliches either. Plus, if there WERE cliches I would be the one to call them out!

When I first picked up my paperback copy I thought it would be a quick read. It was pretty flimsy and just gave off that shortness look. But it wasn't, and I know this may not be totally relevant but the words in it made you take a moment for them to sink in! If you read this book in one day, you probably haven't had it sink in well enough to truly appreciate the whole thing. Also, the cover is pretty awesome. :)

Kate was so relatable with I KNEW that I'd be friends with her if she was real. Ava was a bit annoying but seemed so loyal that it was fine with me. Henry, just dreamy. I loved him. Ella was just as I expected [her goddess] to act like. All the characters were amazing, but I would have liked them to go more in depth with the Theo and Xander thing especially.

The plot moved smoothly and so delicately that it surprised you when something dramatic happened. The story and danger grew over the course of the book. I liked how at the end you were still a bit skeptical, but not fuming with questions of what was going on. OF COURSE I'm gonna read the next one! :D And the one after that, and after that, and after that. etc.

Plotline=10/10
Characters=10/10
Ending=9/10 (Left me with questions about James!)
Writing=10/10
 
~~Charlotte

1 comment:

  1. Love an original story! This sounds like a book I would really enjoy reading! Sometimes, I feel like that when it comes to fantasy novels most are similar in some ways. I will check this one out next trip to Barnes and Noble! :)

    We are your newest followers, and would very much appreciate your visit!! Thank you.

    Cheers & Happy Reading,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and comment!