Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Beach Reads


This week is my school-vacation, and I've been visiting my sister at her college. To make this story shorter, her school is located on a beach! This gave me the inspiration to read a few books just bursting with sand (in more ways than one!) 
I finished these following books less than a day ago. Not only are they both my newest favorites, they're filled with emotional depth. Check them out now!

Twenty Boy SummerAccording to Anna’s best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there’s a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there’s something she hasn’t told Frankie–she’s already had her romance, and it was with Frankie’s older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago. 





Amazing. The quote on the front of this book described my ultimate feeling towards it. It cracked my heart into sand multiple times and sent me reeling towards the finish line. 

I know the title is weird to some, but it doesn't even begin to explain the depth in this book. Anna and Frankie are so grief-stricken you can't help but be sympathetic from afar but also at the same time, misty-eyed yourself at the horrors they have been through. Anna was a protagonist to remember, and the story is one I'll never forget. There are so many quotes I'd hate to forget, I need to go write them down somewhere! 

The bottom line is, it was truly a sad story. Throughout it, we were provided hope. I'm being cliché, but it had the light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel feel. Matt's tragic death is the base, but it doesn't totally focus on it. We are exposed to the way people respond to such tremendous grief, which is extremely eye-opening to those who haven't been IRL exposed to it. You, the reader, feel the emotions the characters are going through and definitely experience a small fragment of their sadness. The writing is magnificent and 100% percent worth any tissues you may use.





The Summer of Skinny Dipping (Summer, #1)After she's snubbed by her snooty cousins in the Hamptons, 16-year-old Mia Gordon meets next-door-neighbor Simon. And from the very first time he encourages Mia to go skinny dipping, she's caught in a current impossible to resist.


Published in 2010 by Amanda Howells (Sourcebook Fire)





So this book is amazing. I recommend it to anyone, but you should know going in that it is not a light read. I didn't know what to expect, and it hit me pretty hard. The paperback blurb is very vague, and I didn't read any reviews before going into it. 

My main issue with the book was its lack of plot. It was a romance story, armed with two dysfunctional families. The fact it didn't come with a plot was minor in my case, but it's always a personal opinion. I really got into it around the ending. The first half of the book was enjoyable to me, but not compelling until (as I said) the end. Give it a chance, it's so worth it. 



I know it's winter for a lot of people, but who needs a season to read a book? If you are down with the snow-blues, pick up one of these paperbacks and cuddle next to the heat vent. You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!