Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Review: Pride & Popularity by Jenni James

Pride & Popularity
Published in 2011 by Inkberry Press -- 240 pg 





This book is a modern-day retelling of Jane Austen's classic, Pride & Prejudice. Seen through the eyes of a 17 yr old, Chloe Elizabeth Hart. Throughout the book her main goal is to not fall in love with the 'local hero' Taylor Anderson. I have not actually read the original. It's on my to-read list, because the only one I've read so far is Northanger Abbey. So please take note in that with my review!


It took me a long time to get into this book. Chloe was a fine enough protagonist, she was very harsh to her surroundings in the most part of the book. My main issue with that was she had no reason. There was no back story to why she distrusted Taylor, other than he was like any other popular guy. Alyssa and Madison were okay as Chloe's best friends, but they seemed like giggling worship robots to Taylor. What I'm trying to say is, there were no backgrounds to any of these characters so I had a hard time connecting. Collin was my favorite, just because he was so nerdy and awkward. The book really picked up near the end, with a climatic run to the park so Chloe could save her sister. 


The writing style of the author was different than others. There was a lot of italicized thoughts, which did get on my nerves. As well as many references to the Bible (don't get me wrong, I have nothing against that.) 'like manna from heaven' But I didn't know it was religious going in. 


I enjoyed the book otherwise. The premise of having a clean book with nothing risque was really refreshing, and definitely a great breather from some other YA books. I recommend this to fans of Jane Austen, or anyone looking for something clean and sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!