Thursday, March 8, 2012

Review: Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Bumped by Megan McCaffertyBumped by Megan McCafferty
This book was set in a dystopian future, where adults are not able to conceive children. So instead, they pay teenagers to 'pregg' for them and then give them the child. This book follows Melody and Harmony, two identical twins as they are taken on a journey that teaches them right from wrong.

I was really excited for this book, and I very much had high expectations. While those expectations were met, they were not exceeded. This book was very average if you take away the very creative and different world they lived in.

My main issue with this whole book was Harmony. Harmony was so naive, and I guess I just hate naivety. But it wasn't just that. It was the fact that I had to listen to her. The chapters alternated POV between the twins, and when it got to Harmony's chapters, I could barely stand it. Before you even get to know Harmony she's getting in trouble that greatly betrays other characters, and that set me off on a sour note with her. I was also not aware going in that it would be so religious. Let me just warn anyone going in now, it is very, very religious. Harmony is a strong Church-girl, and that's all she ever talks about. I am not against religion at ALL, but I don't read YA books to hear about it. I guess I just really wasn't expecting it and it hit me in the face hard.

Although, on the other hand, I loved Melody. I thought she was a great protagonist and one that could be admired. Although in the beginning she is slightly naive as well, she really discovers herself by the end and develops a whole lot. I also loved Zen! Him and Melody make a great duo.

As for the writing, it wasn't amazing. The plot had good intentions, but the ending wasn't very strong and left me slightly unsatisfied. There is a sequel that I will read, just for the sake of Melody and Zen. It's funny how much you can't stand a character but how much you can love some other ones! I recommend this book to fans of dystopian, (you won't be disappointed) romance and coming-of-realization.

3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!