Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


Hello everyone, Marissa here! Again, I apologize for my absence but now that it is summer and I have less end of the year stress, I can finally start doing more book reviews on here and our channel. Here is a review of a book I recently finished


Summary:  It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.



Review: This book is amazing. I am writing this literally seconds after finishing it. Let me start by telling you that this book is a bit slow at points, but I urge you to stick with it. Some times in the book are confusing, but as you read on everything makes sense. This is such a sad but beautiful story. 

I must say, one of the things I loved the characters. I fell in love with Hans Hubbermann. Hans, you are one flawless human being. Liesel was also a great character. She was one of those characters that I enjoyed reading about and seeing her as she grew up as the story progressed. And lastly, Rudy. Rudy, Rudy, Rudy. I have nothing more to say. 

I loved the relationships between the characters too. Especially Liesel and Max's relationship. It was so cute and beautiful. I absolutely loved reading the parts with both of them together. I also loved Liesel's relationship with Hans because he is just so caring for her. Rudy and Liesel's relationship was also a favorite. I loved how they teased each other and how much their friendship grew.

This book is unique in the way it is narrated by Death. That was also one of the things I loved about this book. I loved the style of the writing in this book and this book being narrated by Death contributed to my love for it. 

I never thought I would love a book on such a sad topic in history, but this is a book that i recommend to everyone. This is one of those books that I will never forget and trust me, if you read this book, it is going to be one that you won't forget either. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!