Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review: Starling by Lesley Livingston

Starling (Starling, #1)
Starling by Lesley Livingston
Release: August 28th, 2012
Pages: 352
Publisher: Harper Teen
My Source: ARC

My Review:

Imagine every myth, every goddess, god, and beast--rolled into one. What do you get? This book. The basis mythology is Norse, but there is Greek and Egyptian too. It was an AMAZING read for someone like me, who loves mythology.

Starling's protagonist is Mason Starling, a teenager who goes to the exclusive Gosforth Academy in NY. She's also a champion fencer, and her dad is extremely rich with an underground train that brings the family to and fro. Nice life? Not so much, when a tree comes crashing into the brand new Gosforth gym and with it comes a naked Fennrys Wolf--a regular-looking kid like her, except he can't remember anything besides that interesting name and some creatures that look like demons from Hell, Mason's life changes for the worst.

I really didn't expect to fall in love with this book. The cover is kind of bland in my opinion, but the words really made me understand it. Oh boy, I devoured this book. (As much as I could while still devoting six waking hours to school..) No chapter was boring, and the action scenes were well placed out so that it wasn't all action and no development. Fenn got more interesting as time went on, and I really rooted for Mason and Fenn. All the side characters were equally as important as the main characters, and Mason's family was the most interesting dysfunctional bunch of them all!

The only reason I have a star knocked off--it's really close to be five stars--was that things came way too easy to the characters. Fennrys forgot some vital piece of information? He remembers it exactly when he needs to! It was extremely unrealistic, and it happened more than once. But as you see, it didn't matter that much to me and I got over it!

Oh my goodness, WHAT A CLIFFHANGER!!!! It feels like I'll have to wait forever until the next one, which isn't even on Goodreads yet!! *sigh*

I recommend this to ANYONE who likes mythology. Unless you have an extreme distaste for it, I think you'll really enjoy this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!