Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Summary: Before Sex and the City, Carrie was a small-town girl who knew she wanted more. She's ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of high school.

Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend's betrayal makes her question everything.


Kim's Review: I absolutely love the TV adaptation of The Carrie Diaries. It was one of my favorite shows last season, so I had high expectations for the book. To be honest, I was disappointed. This is one of the rare occasions where the show is actually better than the book. A few important/major parts of the book seemed like they were just tossed in there, and then the author forgot about it until near the end. An example of this is Carrie's feminism. It's a pretty big part of her character in the novel, and in her "diary," or inner thoughts, she mentions it quite a lot. However, when Sebastian starts treating her like crap and turns out to be a huge asshole to her, she doesn't say anything to him and just lets it slide. As soon as an opportunity comes to let Carrie express her thoughts that she wrote a few chapters ago, Carrie (or the author) doesn't take it, and it seemed like if Carrie had just spoken her thoughts to Sebastian this novel could have been a hundred pages shorter.

All in all, this book disappointed me. I'm still going to read the sequel, but now I know to lower my expectations. I'll most likely end up selling both books back to the bookstore.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!