Sunday, May 5, 2013

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

***SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ DIVERGENT!***

Summary: One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.


Kim's Review: Ho. ly. Crap. This book is FANTASTIC. I was a little worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations, but it was just as good as Divergent. The plot and twists and everything about it was just perfect. My only complaint is that Tobias and Tris annoyed me a bit with them constantly keeping secrets from each other. I just wanted to scream at them sometimes! However, their less angsty, adorable scenes made up for it. 

Even after everything she had been through, Veronica Roth continued to make Tris strong and not pathetic. I mean, she easily could have spent the whole novel wallowing and feeling sorry for herself, but instead she took action (even if her decisions were sometimes irrational) and made herself useful. 

Another thing I love about Divergent and Insurgent that I hadn't even realized until I saw someone else's review is that, for what seems like the first time in YA trilogy history, THERE IS NO LOVE TRIANGLE. And the story is still fascinating, and even better because of it. I loved having more action-y scenes instead of the main female character dramatically trying to decide between two guys. Bless you, Veronica Roth (and please don't mess it up in the Allegiant - I'm trusting you).

And the ending. THE ENDING. I had to reread the last page or two at least twice after I finished because I couldn't even comprehend it. It's so strange and creepy but PERFECT. I would give this book 6/5 stars if I could.

I love these two books so much. I haven't felt this way toward a book since I read The Hunger Games. What am I supposed to do until Allegiant/the Divergent movie comes out?!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!