Saturday, July 9, 2011

Guitar Girl -- Book Review by Sarra Manning

Guitar GirlThis book was about Molly. She starts a band with two of her best mates, and along the way they pick up two guys to join them. It becomes a hit real fast. But she learns that the music business isn't all it's cracked up to be, and the book becomes a kind of downward spire.

This book was extremely creative. I'm not much for books-about-bands but this was reinvented my outlook for them. I really connected with Molly, with most everything she did. There were never any parts where I was like 'OH MY GOSH, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!' I was on her level with it all. Especially the end, where I quote;

*small spoiler*
It might seem strange that I didn't run from the enforced day of fun, screaming at the top of my lungs. But to tell you the truth, I was saving up all the seconds I still had left with Dean. . .

It doesn't sound so great out of context, but believe me I choked up a little over that line. The writing flowed so smoothly and I loved the additions of magazine articles. The only few things I didn't like were;

-Tara and T. They weren't developed at all. The end with Tara made my mind spin. She seemed vicious and just out of character. Then her relationship with T, AND Molly. Which one?!
-I felt like not enough really happened in this book. The plot was great and moved fairly quickly. BUT we the readers already knew she was beginning to have second thoughts maybe 100 pages in. Maybe a few more unexpected plot surprises would have made up for that.
-Mom and dad? Alright. . . You were in the first 100 pages but gone the rest. Unrealistic very much.


Most of all the end with Dean. I kinda knew that would happen, but it just made me want to cry. All in all, this book was pretty amazing. 4.5/5 stars. I recommend this for a sunny day or maybe the beach. It's not a mindless book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!