Sunday, July 3, 2011

Will Work For Prom Dress -- Book Review by Charlotte

Will Work for Prom Dress
This book was mainly about Quigley and her best friend Anne. Anne is making Quigley do odd jobs with her as a scheme to get money for their perfect prom dresses. On one of those jobs Quigley happens to meet Zander, whom right away she starts to fall for. But then David who is the self proclaimed 'Art King' comes into the picture. He's always treated Quigley like crap, but claims to want to date her now. This all happens in the first 50 pages in and this is basically what is written on the back cover. The rest of the book is a little bit of a mystery, inadvertently. Even prom doesn't turn out to be a big plot in this book. I'd like to say that the biggest thing that is always lingering in the background is where Quigley will go to college.
 
I just have to say, this book by far exceeded any expectations I had. I thought it was going to be just a fluffy light book about a girl finding her perfect prom date. It wasn't, it was much more than that! It had depth to it and a lot of creativity.

First off, everything stated in the biography happened less than 50 pages into the books. So I was like 'ohhkayy. .' and prepared myself for a lot of chapters full of prom-related stuff. I didn't know what to expect. I got a really great story out of it, so I'm not mad one bit. That's why I'm not going to go on about it but instead, let you get surprised if you read it.

A few things I predicted. But they weren't big things, mostly stuff along the lines of 'will they, won't they?'. Then there was other stuff that popped out of no where that surprised me with the randomness, but perfectness of it. The writing flowed smoothly and nicely.

There were a few things that annoyed me. 1-the ending. I DON'T get it. She stated that she had her perfect fit 'right here at home.' (Don't worry, it's not a spoiler in any way.) Okay, great. Good for you. Please elaborate a little more for the reader though? Thanks.
2-There's a fine line between romance, and sappiness. I feel at the end of the book that it was just dripping with sap. Get what I'm saying? Again, this wasn't terrible but sometimes it really makes me put-off by a book when the characters have meaningful kiss after meaningful kiss.
3-David. Jerk. All I have to say on the matter of him.
I really liked Anne, although the matter of her father should have had a bigger play in the book than it did. . .

4.5/5 star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!