Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Summary: Holmes and Watson are faced with their most terrifying case yet. The legend of the devil-beast that haunts the moors around the Baskerville families home warns the descendants of that ancient clan never to venture out in those dark hours when the power of evil is exalted. Now, the most recent Baskerville, Sir Charles, is dead and the footprints of a giant hound have been found near his body. Will the new heir meet the same fate?

Kim's Review: Finally! It took me nearly a month to finish this book. Don't get me wrong - I love Sherlock; I've seen the BBC series and one of the newer movies, I just started watching Elementary, and now this is the second story I've read. I just found it hard to read the older language (which isn't Arthur Conan Doyle's fault, of course). It was interesting to get to see Sherlock and John Watson as their original characters, instead of different producers/actors' interpretations of them. I already somewhat knew how the story was going to end from the BBC series, but I there were still a lot of things that surprised me. It was also neat to see John "fending" for himself and investigating without the help of Sherlock. All in all, I liked this book a lot, but I probably won't read another Sherlock Holmes story just because there are so many other books I need to get to! It gets 3.5/5 stars from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!