Friday, June 15, 2012

Review: The Boy Recession by Flynn Meaney

The Boy Recession
The Boy Recession by Flynn Meaney
Pages: 247
Published: August 7th, 2012
Publisher: Poppy
My Source: ARC

My Review:
The Boy Recession was a look into a high school that is suffering a shortage of testosterone. Because of budget cuts, many of the athletic guys have left for other schools. This book is told in an alternating POV, Kelly, a sweet girl, and Hunter, a complete slacker.

I'm starting off with the characters. Kelly was my favorite. She was a refreshing female character, and I could 100% relate to all the things she said. Hunter on the other hand, I seriously disliked reading his chapters. I think this happens a lot when a female writer writes from a male POV. It just comes out unrealistic. More than once, Hunter was upset that he'd made out with a girl named Diva, so he complained about how SHE was following him around and not leaving him alone. Am I the only one who sees the messed-up logic?? Hunter is the main reason two stars are knocked off, and I probably would have liked him if I didn't have to read his POV. On the other hand, I loved Eugene (who was supposed to be the slimeball.)

"Don't hate on Scott Disick," Eugene warns me. "He's my fashion role model."
(From ARC, has not been checked against final copy.)

Lines like that made up for Hunter! I also liked Kelly's friends, Aviva and Darcy. The plot was creative, and I've never read another book like it. I also enjoyed Johann, a minor character that needed more time in the spotlight!

I'd love to read a sequel or companion of Aviva at engineering camp! :D (The GIRL Recession?)
So I recommend this if you don't mind reading Hunter's POV, and the things that annoyed me. It's a good book all-in-all. 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and comment!